Combination ovens combine the best of three cooking methods into one device. Convection, which is the movement of heat dry to a surface, can be used for baking bread and roasting meats. You can use steam to cook delicately fish, rice, and vegetables. Steam and convection can be combined to produce moist, flavorful and shrinking results. Find out more about combi ovens and their benefits. You can also increase your productivity while reducing labor costs.
What are the benefits of COMBI OVENS
A combi oven can be a costly investment. However, the equipment package is well worth it. The following are reasons why this versatile unit is a smart investment.
- Condense your Cook Line. A combi oven can replace a convection or steamer. You can use it to serve many of the same functions that a proofer and holding cabinet. It is cheaper than buying multiple pieces of equipment even though the initial investment is more expensive.
- A combi oven can be a costly investment but it is worth it when you consider the total cost for your commercial kitchen equipment. The following are reasons why this versatile unit is a smart investment.
- Control of the temperature and moisture precisely: This allows you to customize your cooking by setting the perfect temperature and steam settings.
- Programmable menus: These menus can be used to program, load, modify or manually input recipes. Even complicated recipes that use steam or convection settings are easy to modify with just a few clicks.
- Higher food yield: Steam and convection are used to preserve the flavors and nutrients of your recipes, resulting in a higher-quality product. This is great for meats, as steam preserves meats from drying out and prevents them shrinking.
There are three types of cooking: steam, convection, and combination
To achieve all functions, commercial combi ovens can be used in three cooking modes: steam, convection and a combination steam/convection.
- Steam Mode This steamer mode uses steam heat for products to stay moist while being cooked. This mode is great for steaming seafood and vegetables.
- Hot air is used in Convection Mode combi ovens to push the oven cavity. This creates dry heat which browns food and removes any moisture. This is great for baking, oven-frying and roasting foods like cookies, French fries and pizza.
- Combination Mode Steam and hot water combine to create food that retains its moisture. This is a great option for braising or stewing foods. The oven will tenderize and preserve the flavor of meats and vegetables, but it will not brown as well. This method can be used to bake some loaves of bread, since the steam will help form a hard crust.
CONSIDERATIONS FOR COMBINATION OPENERS
These are important considerations when selecting the combi oven that is right for you. It is important to take into account the requirements of your company and the preferences of your chef. This covers gas, electric and broiler cooking.
Combination Ovens For Electric and Gas:
When deciding whether to buy an electric or gas combination oven, the most important factors are price and availability of utilities. If the following statements are true, an electric combi oven is more suitable.
- Gas equipment can be affected by high elevation.
- The price of electric models is typically lower than those made from gas, so it’s a concern.
Gas combi ovens are, however, more appropriate since:
- Manufacturer-made models are up to 50% more efficient today than top-of the-line electric combo models.
- Open burner models instantly transfer heat and energy.
For most gas models to run digital fans and displays, an electrical connection is necessary. Because they can only use electricity or gas in their kitchens, some chefs might be limited in the foods they can prepare. Combination ovens offer versatility and flexibility in programming.
Commercial ovens are great tools for your kitchen. You can program them to make any dish you like.
These ovens can be used to cook multiple dishes at once, which makes it possible to create a wide range of menu items without having to do many steps. You can pre-programme many combi ovens with recipes. These ovens have onboard memory that can store and create multiple recipe.
Some combi ovens are programmable and can store over 200 cooking cycles. Combination ovens make complex cooking easier. Both line cooks and less skilled chefs can use them.
Touch Screen vs. Dial Combi Ovens:
Commercial use of combination ovens can be controlled by dial or touchscreen control. In your kitchen, both types of control systems are possible. It all depends on what you prefer.
- Touch screen controls allow you to quickly adjust your cooking conditions. To adjust your settings, simply touch the screen.
- Touch models allow for intuitive menu item addition, quick adjustment and a clear visual representation to show what you want to change or add.
- Dial controls make it easy to navigate your cooking menu. Scroll easily to your preferences settings.
Boiler Vs. Boilerless Combi Ovens
There are two types commercial combi ovens. One with a boiler (steam generation type), and one without a stove.
- A steam generation combi oven is made up of a tank that heats large quantities of water, then produces steam which is then injected into an Oven.
- Boilerless combination ovens heat water by pumping it directly onto the heating element. While steam-generated models are more popular in Europe than in America, they are less common due to the hard water conditions in America and the high maintenance needed for a boilerless combination oven.
Combi Oven Sizing:
It is important to take into account the dimensions and output of your kitchen when choosing a combi oven. There are three sizes available from manufacturers, with some units being compact and others large.
- Mini Ovens These small ovens can still be very effective when used under the right conditions. These ovens usually have six shelves and can store between 3 and 5 pans.
- Tabletop – These models can be used for smaller operations like food trucks and quick-service restaurants. These units can store 6-12 sheets of sheet or full-size hotel pots.
- Floor models If your kitchen relies on quality product preparation and high standards of quality, then you’ll need an oven that has lots of space. The most popular floor model combi ovens. These ovens have at least 20 shelves that can hold 20 full-size sheets pans and 40 hotel pans.
You can also take a more general approach. There are two sizes available: full-size or half-size. These are the sizes of the pans that can be stored on their shelves. Half-size sheet pans are 18″x13″, while full-size pans are 26×18.